Safe Routes to School Campaign Coordinator
Job Summary – Scope Statement
This position requires a strategic thinker who enjoys being challenged at work. We are looking for someone to build lasting relations with legislators and stakeholders, has the ability to analyze next steps toward a winning campaign, and enjoys working hard because success is the reason they go to work every day. You will partner closely with Idaho Walk Bike Alliance’s (IWBA) Task Force to move Idaho’s non-motorized policy priorities forward.
Founded in 2009, IWBA’s mission is to make Idaho streets safe for anyone who chooses to use active transportation, improve the health of Idaho’s youth, and ensure our streets are safe and healthy for everyone.
This position will spearhead the creation and development of a statewide coalition focused on the advancement of obesity prevention and increased non-motorized mobility policies in Idaho – in particular to secure state funding for the Safe Routes to School program. This position will be primarily responsible for strategic planning and implementation around the recruitment, mobilization and retention of individuals and organizations as well as the engagement of key contacts and decision makers to lead to the dedication of state funds for Safe Routes to Schools programs.
The coalition is working to educate communities as well as local and state-level decision makers on the benefits of active mobility for children to walk or bike to and from school as an effective tool in combatting the alarming trends associated with unhealthy communities, unsafe streets, poor school performance, and bad air quality around schools. This one-year grant funded position includes a competitive salary to secure the right person with the ability to manage a coalition while aggressively working toward campaign success. Continuation of this contract position is contingent on funding.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to identify and advance agreed upon policy priorities.
- Messaging and communication at the State Legislature during the session to ensure street safety and local control.
- Manage the recruitment, retention and mobilization of member organizations, individuals and stakeholders.
- Strategically direct a Task Force team and partner organizations.
- Staff a coalition of leadership work teams.
- Develop training and communication tools for coalition members.
- Assist to recruit members for media advocacy opportunities.
- Provide technical assistance to member organizations and individuals including issue research, messaging, lessons learned and successes.
- Provide technical assistance to community volunteers on local coalition activities, strategies, issue research, messaging, lessons learned and successes
- Fundraise for IWBA on an on-going basis to help strengthen and grow the organization.
- Go getter/can do attitude is a must!
- Well-organized, self-starter, strategic thinker who is detail-oriented yet works efficiently and with minimal supervision.
- Minimum two to three years experience in any of the following: community organizing and mobilization, public health, media advocacy, and/or electoral campaign experience is a plus but not a requirement.
- Ability to recruit, direct, coach, monitor, and supervise volunteers.
- Ability to implement programs and initiatives by engaging all key partners and coalition members
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
- Ability to work in a team environment and interact with all levels of Idaho Walk Bike Alliance and American Heart Association staff, volunteers and the public.
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to maintain valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Chooses active transportation some or all of the time!
- Must pass Criminal, Credit and DMV background checks.
This position will be full time (or more) during the 2018 legislative session, but could offer flexible or part time hours post-session.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Position is available immediately.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and a previous writing sample by January 19, 2018 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a writing sample, which could be part of a grant submission, a press release, or a published letter to the editor. Please indicate why you are interested in this position, salary history and salary requirements. For organizational information, please visit www.idahowalkbike.org. No phone calls please.